Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Growing Courageously.


Recently, I have been so encouraged by a passage of scripture, a few songs on the radio, my own thoughts and conversations with God, and wise women. I realized that this summer appears to be a perfect time for growth in my relationship with Christ. I feel like a lot of times I can get so caught up with the busyness of school and all of the things that need to get done that I lose focus on what is important. That is not always the case, but it happens more often than not. I always treasure the time that I do spend with God during my devotions at school, but I always want more (which is not a bad thing!). A few things have been spurring on this desire for growth and I am so excited to explore what God has in store for me this summer.

I feel like most people have a "favorite verse," but I like so many verses and find so many of them encouraging in different ways that I have never been able to choose just one. However, I always seems to quote a specific passage of scripture to myself. Psalm 23 has been a source of encouragement, hope, and peace throughout this entire school year. I love that God has proven himself to be consistently faithful in every situation and I am so thankful!

(I created this image and it is currently that background
on my computer to remind me that He is ALL that I need!)


I love these three songs by Love & The Outcome, “The God I Know,” “When We Love,” and “He Is With Us.” Each of these songs is filled with truth and encouragement. I love their reminders that God is always with me, no matter what situation I am facing; when we love, we are the evidence of Christ’s love; and that it’s okay to throw our hands up and lay our worries down and to break up with our doubt. The lyrics I just paraphrased have been ringing in my mind recently and I love that God uses things like music to encourage us in knowing that it is going to be okay and that He has everything under control.

As I was working on updating my blog design, I reflected on the past school year. It was definitely a year of growth, trial, and triumph. God definitely proved to be faithful during the entire year and I am so thankful and blessed because He was and still is faithful. Each day I would walk to class and enjoy having conversations with God about life. I always felt as though I learned something new each day about myself and my outlook on the world. I treasure those moments of grace-laced conversation with the most dependable person I know. He is always there, not like a good buddy, but as a wise Father.

There are a few wise women that I admire and look up to. First of all, my mother is a wonderful role model and example of a follower of Christ. I ALWAYS go to her for advice for just about anything. I probably call her more than I should, but there’s no one I’d rather talk to than her about important things. My mom loves Jesus more than anything and exemplifies what it means to be a humble servant. She never complains about doing things for my family and me or others. She never asks for anything in return and continues to give of herself daily. Another wise woman that I admire is Lysa TerKeurst. I do not know her personally, but she is so rooted in Christ and encouraging. I am always so blessed with the community she helped create, Proverbs 31 Ministries. I have had the privilege of reading her book “The Best Yes” and doing the Bible study that goes with it. I HIGHLY recommend that book as well as anything else she has written. I’m looking forward to reading her books “Unglued” and “Made to Crave.” She posted something recently about her daughter Ashley, who was recently married. She said that two years ago she sat and cried with her after a broken heart and promised her that God had a plan for her. And not just any plan… a good plan. What stuck out to me the most out of what Lysa said was that she had to be courageous enough to let God write the next chapters of her story. As a human, I often try to control the things that I can and even some of the things in my future. In the back of my mind I know that God has a perfect plan designed for me, but I just want to do it myself. Therein lies my fault in not trusting fully. I hope that I learn to trust courageously this summer and continue to do so when I go back to school in the Fall. Something else that I love that Lysa said in a sermon was that she is just so on fire for Christ and has such a thirst and hunger for His Word. Every spare minute she has in her day, she craves for a taste of the sweet written Truth. What she said inspired and lit a fire in me to chase after God like He chases after me. I love that idea of seeking every extra minute I have free to fill myself with Him. What a joy it is to serve Christ!

This summer is going to be good. I just know that God is going to move in ways that I never expected. I pray that I would be courageous in seeking Christ daily and not falter because I give thought to what the devil says. I’m looking forward to many adventures, meeting up with old friends, and living life to the fullest! I hope to have a new post up each Tuesday and hope that you will join me for a fun chat.

Be blessed and live with the joy of the Lord as your strength!


No comments:

Post a Comment