Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Easy DIY Curtain Valance with Tassel Trim.


I’ve always loved sewing. When I was in the 6th or 7th grade, I took my very first sewing class and made a pink and green rag quilt, which I still have! If there is something I want to make but don’t know how, I’ll watch YouTube videos and read blog posts and websites until I know how to do it. This summer I am adding a few new things to my room to make it more of the style I like. I’ve changed my bedding slightly with a white quilt, added pineapple finials, cotton stalks, and old books to my antique dresser. I hope to find a few more décor pieces and fix up the lamps on the side-tables by my bed. The main colors in my room are red, cream, and yellow. I wanted to add some black into the mix and decided to do so by making a buffalo-check valance (FYI: Buffalo-check is a large checkered pattern). In my opinion, this valance was really easy to make, but it took a little bit of time. Hopefully, you can make your own valance with this step-by-step tutorial.

(The Rag Quilt I made in 7th grade)

First I purchased 1 yard of upholstery fabric from Hobby Lobby (you can find fabric like mine in the back of the fabric section of Hobby Lobby on the long bolts of fabric) and ironed it out. Then I cut my fabric lengthwise to make it long enough to fit the length of the window.





After cutting the fabric in half, I lined up the two pieces to form one long piece where the patterns lined up and sewed the edges together.




Once the fabric was one long piece, I folded and pinned the long edges and did a double-stitch to make it look crisp and finished. After I completed the long side, I did the same for the shorter sides.



Once all the edges were bound, I pinned the tassel trim to one of the long sides and did a single stitch through the trim and the curtain.



After the trim was added, I the corners like a triangle to make it look more professional (After I sewed everything, I realized I should have double-folded each edge to hide the frayed unfinished sides).


I ironed the entire curtain one more time before adding curtain clips and hanging the fabric above the tan linen curtains that already hung in my room.



Here are a few pictures of the completed product!




I hope you enjoyed this post and will join me next Tuesday as I share pictures and details about my trip to Chip and Joanna Gaines’ Magnolia Market Silos in Waco, TX!




No comments:

Post a Comment