Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Summer Essentials.

Summer is one of my favorite seasons (although I love autumn and winter too). Just life itself is wonderful I guess! During the freezing winter where I go to school, I dream of summer and all of the things I love. Crystal blue swimming pools, warm sun, cute sandals, a cold glass of sweet tea, fresh strawberries and peaches, beach trips, fresh seafood, cookouts, baseball games, concerts, day trips, ice cream cones, new sunnies, and catching a breath after a long school year. I found the cutest “summer essentials” print on Pinterest and I thought I would list my favorite summer essentials for y'all!

sunblock.
In the summer, especially at the beach, sunblock is a must! I have very fair skin so this is very important for me (I have had my fair share of bad sunburns). I learned a new trick about sunblock that I want to share. The number of the SPF is the amount of time it will work before you need to reapply. So if you have SPF 15, you should reapply after 15 minutes. I really like the Neutrogena sunscreens especially in the higher SPF’s like 75. Another sunblock I have tried recently is Sunbum. It costs a little bit more, but smells good and works pretty well.

nail polish.
Painted toes are a definite yes for the summertime. I have never liked naked toes (I don’t know, I just never have). My toes are painted year round, which might not be the best, but I like them painted. My go-to color 95% of the time is Bachelorette Bash by Essie. I tried my first Essie nail polish about 3 years ago, and I haven’t turned back since! When your color is brand new it does not chip easily, but after you’ve had the color for a while it might chip easier. Now I just top my color with a clear coat and it seals it pretty well. Some other fun colors that I have been eyeing are “Cute as a Button”, “Bikini So Teeny”, “Play Date”, “Lilacism”, and “Mob Sqaure”. You can find most all of these colors at Target and they are just perfect for any summer outfit you have picked out!
**Update: "Cute as a Button" by Essie is adorable! I recently bought it and painted both my toes and fingers this color. It's so bright and cheery for the summer and I decided I needed a change from my everyday pink color.

sandals.
This is probably one of the most important pieces of summer and there are so many options. I have a couple of pairs of sandals that I have on rotation depending on what I’m wearing. My newest addition to my closet is my gold pair of Hot Cakes, which are basically a copycat of the famously southern Jack Rogers sandal. They only cost me about $24 and work well for what I need them for. Eventually I’ll get some real Jacks, but these are great for those of us on a budget. I also have a pair of gold braided t-strap sandals from Steinmart and of course my Chacos! I love my Chacos. They are so comfortable and perfect for any summer adventure you might go on.

hats.
In another effort to keep sun off of my face, I like to wear hats especially at the beach and the pool. I bought a new floppy, straw sunhat from Walmart for $7! It was a great deal and I did not get a single ray of sun on my face at the beach (yay for me!). Sunhats are also great for pairing with a flowy maxi dress or a cute cotton sundress. I also bought a seersucker baseball cap with a bow detail on the back at my favorite Christian bookstore in Spartanburg, SC. I also got my sister one and she loves hers. According to Emily Post’s etiquette book, there are certain rules about hats and when they are appropriate to be worn. This seersucker cap is perfect to cover a not so great hair day as well as being a cute addition to your closet.

bags.
Whether it is a beach bag, lake bag, library bag, shopping bag, or a new purse, summer is the perfect time to get a new one or to break out an old favorite. I don’t have a specific beach or pool bag per say, but I got a new one this summer. It’s by the brand Mudpie and is a jute bag that is lined on the inside. This bag was great for the beach and the plastic lining was so great for emptying all of the sand that tried to catch a ride home with me. I would also recommend a canvas bag with a pocket for your phone or whatever else.

sunglasses.
I think sunglasses are really cute in the summer. I can’t always keep them on for a long time because I don’t usually wear them, but sometimes it is just fun to treat yourself and buy a new pair. I bought a pair of tortoise shell print RayBan-esque style sunglasses from Target. I bought them just before heading to the beach and I love them! They go with everything and I think that tortoise shell is such a classic print. A pair I would really like to get is some red heart-shaped sunglasses. I think they look so fun!

the perfect playlist.
Some songs just remind me of summer. In my opinion, the quintessential summer playlist includes country music. I always have good memories of listening to country music in the summer (and year round too). Some of my favorite artists this summer are Zac Brown Band, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Maddie & Tae, and Kelsea Ballerini. I am also enjoying some of my favorite Worship artists like Bethel Music and Steffany Gretzinger this summer. Playlists are perfect for relaxing at the beach, taking a drive, hosting a backyard pool party, or just listening!  

These are just a few of my summer essentials. Summer is such a wonderful time of relaxation, recharging, fun, adventures, and just enjoying life. I hope y’all are enjoying your summer and doing lots of fun things and soaking up a lot of sun. Happy Summer!


No comments:

Post a Comment