Monday, January 26, 2015

Land that I love.


I love the South. It’s my home and I’m proud to be from there. I’m enchanted by everything that makes it unique. Sweet tea is our house wine and macaroni is a vegetable. I love that football games are the place to be on Friday nights and that everyone watches college ball on Saturdays. Beautiful flowers dripping from windowsills and khudzu and ivy crawling up the sides of old homes. Sitting on porch swings with loved ones and making apple pies with Grandma. Southern drawls make everything sound perfect and sweet and bless your heart. Everyone’s nickname is “sugar” or “honey” and fireflies are our nightlights. Tea parties with fine china and little sandwiches are just as fun as barbeques with family and friends. Church bazaars and antique stores brim with little trinkets and treasures. Mason jars are a staple. Farmers markets are fun on the weekends and homemade food is the crème de la crème. Going to church on Sunday is just as essential as waking up in the morning. Small towns are dreamy and after dinner strolls are a must. Trips to the beach are a summertime tradition and hushpuppies go right along with sweet friends and company. Country roads were meant for long drives and wildflowers were meant to be picked. Nothing is really yours until it’s monogrammed and pearls are essential. Pink and polka dots go with everything. Hard work is built into us and helping out our neighbors is as natural as eating ice cream. The South is magical and I’ll always love it. Someday, I’ll return there.

-C






No comments:

Post a Comment