Tuesday, June 30, 2015

You've Got A Friend.



I love that old James Taylor song “You’ve Got A Friend”. In its truest form, it’s a demonstration of true friendship. Who wouldn’t want someone to tell you all those nice things? I’ll be there whenever you call or when the sky falls. It’s such a sweet reminder of how precious our friendships are. During my freshman year of college I entered some of the sweetest friendships I’ve ever had. Picking and choosing friends can be tough for some people and having moved so many times as a child I suppose I’m better at it than most. However, I am by no means a professional at “friend-making”. As it would happen, I became closest with the girls who lived on my hall and we did any and everything together. From having photo-shoots with Christmas props in Target, cramming into one of our rooms to watch a movie together, playing our hearts out on the flag football field, dressing up as every holiday we could think of for Halloween, hiding a pet gecko, camping in the freezing cold and having your tent collapse in the middle of the night, climbing on the roof of our dorm building, getting milkshakes from the sassiest of waiters at 3AM, hammocking on our “front lawn” at 1AM, dancing in the basement laundry room during finals week, to borrowing grandma’s cookies from the vending machine. We shared more laughs than I ever knew I had in me. You know you have true friends when they would do anything for you and would go out of their way just to see you smile. These same friends are there for you when you go through your first heartbreak and they sit on the floor and cry with you and drag a mattress into your room to make sure you don’t feel alone. They will watch cheesy movies with you and eat cookie dough with you when you don’t feel so good. They will listen to you share your heart and all the dreams you wish would someday become a reality. They give you fashion advice and let you raid their closet as long as you let them raid yours. They make faces at you when you pass them on campus and sing crazy made-up songs to you as loud as they can just to show how much they love you. Even if you haven’t seen each other in 30 minutes they’ll hug you like they haven’t seen you in a year. They’ll break out into random dancing whenever a good song comes on and you don’t care who is watching because everyone wishes they could have friends as cool as us. These friends are treasures that God specifically planted in our lives to show how much He loves and cares for us. I’m so thankful for every friend I made this year and I can’t wait for this next year and more crazy adventures with those I love most!

No comments:

Post a Comment